To equip students with a critical awareness of key theoretical debates and issues enabling them to develop a critical understanding, evaluation and ethical position in relation to education and social justice issues. To provide a range of learning activities and experiences as a critical context for intellectual development enabling students to critically engage with research in a way that is applicable and relevant to their own academic and practice context. To enable students to reflect on and challenge their own and others' values and assumptions in order to promote socially just policy, and inclusive and ethical practice in education
Target award Learning Outcomes - Master of Arts
A student successfully completing the programme of study will have acquired the following subject knowledge and understanding as well as skills and other attributes.
A student who is eligible for this award will be able to:
1. Demonstrate systematic knowledge and critical understanding of theories and concepts appropriate to the study of education, globalisation and social justice.
2. Use knowledge of different philosophical views of education to inform critical debate about its role in a range of national and international contexts.
3. Demonstrate practical understanding of how techniques of research and enquiry are used to create an original interpretation of knowledge in relation to the study of education, globalisation and social justice.
4. Explore the implications of relevant theory, research and policy in the context of educational governance and practice.
5. Demonstrate critical awareness of the role of educational policy and practice in addressing social justice issues in the globalised world.
6. Plan an appropriate investigative project that involves elements of education and globalisation as fields of study.
7. Synthesise ideas based on study, reflection and/or experience, to create responses to problems that expand or redefine existing knowledge.
8. Challenge own and others' values and assumptions in order to promote socially just policy, and inclusive and ethical practice in education
9. Synthesise effectively and communicate the outcomes of a study in ways consistent with relevant academic conventions.
10. Critically examine educational policy and practice in complex and unfamiliar situations through systematic, ethical investigation.
11. Manage time effectively.
12. Demonstrate Self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems and the ability to act autonomously in planning and implementing tasks.
13. Identify dilemmas and ethical dimensions in complex and unfamiliar situations and acknowledge positionality in these contexts.
14. Analyse and critically evaluate data from a wide range of reliable sources to develop knowledge and critical understanding.
15. Research and present findings using appropriate methods of investigation.
16. Communicate clearly and confidently in both spoken and written form.
17. Work independently as well as part of a team.
Postgraduate Certificate Level
Postgraduate Diploma Level
Postgraduate Award Level