The GDL is specially designed as the conversion course into legal study. It is the pathway into practice for non-law graduates
If you have completed an undergraduate degree in a non-law field and want to study law at a postgraduate level you’ll first need to complete this conversion course. With a modular structure, our GDL offers you a great chance to make the transition into legal study with excellent levels of support and guidance from our experienced, professional tutors.
Thinking of continuing onto the LPC?
You can continue with the current LPC route if, on or before 31 August 2021, you complete, start, accept an offer, or pay a non-refundable deposit for this course. Alternatively, we’ve developed a range of new courses for the SQE route that will prepare you for a career as a solicitor, as well as SQE success.
If you’re looking to make the change into legal study and already have an undergraduate degree in another discipline then our GDL is your pathway into legal practice.
Many employers favour GDL students in an increasingly competitive legal job market. Through studying another degree subject, and building your career in another discipline, you will have gained many transferable skills. By choosing law at a later stage than some others, you are showing motivation and determination to pursue a new career. Employers actively seek candidates with these benefits.
When you study the GDL with us you will:
- Learn to think like a lawyer and develop practical legal skills through small group workshops and problem-based learning
- Be ready to complete your legal training and go on to study the LPC or BPC
- Explore an area of law that interests you via your own Research Project or our unique Law of Organisations module
- Spread out your study and exams with our structured modular study pattern, so you can focus on key areas each semester and complete exams as you go, instead of all at the end of the year
- Enjoy flexible study – choose to study full-time or part-time at one of our locations nationwide, or online
- Receive access to our award-winning careers support to help you with your training contract and pupillage applications
- Be taught by qualified lawyers, with lectures and practical workshops to develop your legal skills
- Whether you choose to progress onto the LPC or BPC, you will benefit from our excellent employment and pupillage rates -
- 95% of our 2017/18 full-time, UK, LPC graduates have secured work or further study within fifteen months of successfully completing this course (based on Graduate Outcomes data).
- 59% of our full-time UK/EEA BPC students graduating in 2018 secured a pupillage (based on student data collated September 2020). Previously the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC).
What is modular study?
- Our GDL is modular. This means that you complete the exam for each module at the end of the semester while the information is still fresh in your mind, similar to how you might have done for your undergraduate degree.
- Successful completion of the GDL then qualifies you to proceed on to the LPC or BPC to qualify as a solicitor or barrister, respectively.