The Bachelor of Science in exercise science degree at Trine University emphasizes an in-depth understanding of the human body, injuries, illnesses, and how to maximize human performance.
Approximately 70% of our graduates pursue graduate school in physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training or related fields.
The degree: Topics in health and human performance
Coursework in the Bachelor of Science in exercise science includes topics such as nutrition, health, wellness and human performance. If you are interested in athletic training or physical therapy, keep in mind these fields require a graduate degree. Trine’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program offers a direct entry option for exercise science graduates.
The Bachelor of Science in exercise science program is part of Trine University's Center for Sports Studies.
The experience: Internships and professional connections
The Bachelor of Science in exercise science features a global health study abroad trip, offered every two years, as well as undergraduate capstone projects and internship placement on a national scale. Trine's affiliation with the American College of Sports Medicine and the Health Science Student Association further enhances professional connections through conference attendance and engagement with professionals in the field.
You will become immersed in community projects including the “Therapeutic Twinges Water Program” or "Active Science," helping you apply exercise technology to improve mobility and physical activity. Internships include Chula Vista, California, at the Olympic Training Center; Indiana Physical Therapy Centers; and AWP/Athletes with Purpose in Sports Performance helping with the NFL Combine Training Program for top college draft picks.
The result: Excel in a variety of careers
Graduates succeed in physical therapy, athletic training and sports performance careers, with salaries ranging from $45,000 to $65,000. Careers in health-related fields are on the rise due to the increase in the senior population and life expectancy.
Admission requirements for transfer students:
High School Transcripts:
Total Credit Hour - 121
General Education Requirements- 30 credit hours
• ENG 143 College Composition
or ENG 133 Technical Communication
• HUM 203 Humanities Seminar (Writing Intensive)
• SP 203 Effective Speaking
• PSY 113 Principles of Psychology
• Humanities Elective - 3 credit hours
• BIO 114 Principles of Biology I and Lab
• EXS 102 Lifetime Wellness
• MA 113 College Algebra
• MA 253 Statistics
• SM 393 Sport Psychology
Program Requirements - 43 credit hours
• EXS 203 Risk and Sports
• EXS 233 Drug Education
• EXS 243 Athletic Training
• EXS 263 Motor Learning
• EXS 273 Nutrition
• EXS 283 Fitness Evaluation Assessments
• EXS 293 Biomechanics
• EXS 333 Kinesiology
• EXS 343 Principles of Human Performance
• EXS 353 Exercise Physiology
• EXS 363 Capstone Experience in Exercise Science I
• EXS 373 Health Promotion and Problems
• EXS 383 Nutrition Counselling
• EXS 483 Professional Development in Exercise Science
• UE 101 University Experience
Exercise Science Electives - choose 12 credit hours from the courses listed:
• EXS 103 Teaching of Sport Skills I
• EXS 413 Corrective Exercise
• EXS 423 Evaluation of Athletic Injuries
• EXS 453 Capstone Experience in Exercise Science II
• EXS 483 Professional Development in Exercise Science (Athletic Training)
• EXS 483 Professional Development in Exercise Science (Coaching)
• EXS 493 Strength and Conditioning Preparation
Electives - 35 credit hours
Electives to be determined with advisor.
For a complete description of the above requirements, please go to the Course Catalog.
DPT Direct Entry program majoring in Exercise Science:
Trine University offers a direct entry six-year plan of study leading to a bachelor degree in exercise science and a Doctorate of Physical Therapy.
• ONE-TIME Intl Enrolment Fee $500
• ONE-TIME Housing deposit $150
• Tuition $33,650
• Engineering /Science fee $330
• Intl Health Insurance $1,499
• Housing & Meal Plan $11,700
• Student Fee* $530
• Parking Permit Fee** $120
• Total Annual Estimate *** $47,979